A hot day in the weather was matched with hot writing in the Pens circle today!
With summer strawberries and cream, thank you Jude, and other treats, the writing was as diverse and fascinating as ever, despite the singular focus for Historical things.
- Nori took us on another journey in his Pirate Adventure, historically accurate research bought together a vivid tale of intrigue and daring do; we look forward to other chapters.
- Ann took us on a Viking plunderers journey from her research for another historic tale.
- Christine, relayed her story from the Pens outing to the zoo with spectacular observation and satirical commentary resulting is a mischievously funny article.
- Elizabeth retold her personal experience as a ‘£10 Pom’ as they were called, for people who took the very special priced passage to Australia in the 1960’s. Shock and awe was the general feeling of this early foreign travel halfway round the world.
- Val stayed at home but delighted us with the terrors of fruit picking in the local area in the intense heat, fruitful collecting but an effort to make it so.
- David read a piece he wrote for an Emancipation Day event recently. A hard look at the slave trade and its often unseen consequences for so many.
- Jude shared an extract from a developing work based on her life and experiences, this one was a less than exotic boat journey to Trinidad in her early twenties.
Thank you to all who shared today and the stimulated conversation and discussion all the writing.
Other events for the diary:
Jude is performing at the Two Towers Brewery, part of the Gunmakers Arms, Lancaster Circus on the 20 August at 7.00
Val is having a book launch and signing event for her recently published and wonderful autobiography, ‘On Call’, at Waterstones book shop in Sutton Coldfield on 20th October; time to be confirmed. Copies available directly from the author Dr Val Inchley.
The next Pens meeting will be on the 21 August hopefully with Petra and her writing as an appreciation of a piece of art; to be confirmed but we meet anyway.